9/12/2014

Preparation for the Long Travel - Part 2 (Jungle Travel and Check List)

Travelling through the jungle requires carrying some special items. First of all, it is important to protect yourself from mosquitos. Stock up on mosquito repellent, possibly also deet spray (a very strong mosquito repellent which I’m not a fan of due to its potential effect on the skin) and make sure you have a mosquito net to cover your bed or hammock. You could spray the mosquito net with deet, thus avoiding to apply it directly onto your own skin – whilst putting other milder repellent on your skin. Another suggestion I received is to consume vitamin B tablets before heading off to mosquito-infested areas, since the obnoxious little flying creatures apparently don’t like smell you emit when consuming the vitamin. I wouldn’t use the vitamin B on its own - I would rather consume it together with the other precautions. Light clothes that cover the whole body could further help keep the mosquitos from your skin. 

Finally, I’d also get a good waterproof poncho that covers your whole body since it can rain heavily in the jungle. You could also get another one to cover your backpack. A hammock (which can be bought cheaply in the location of your travel) is needed for the long boat journeys across the Amazon, where it will be the only bed you’ll have. I imagine I’ll give the hammock away once I’m out of the jungle in order to save backpack space and weight. 

Wooden housing in the Amazon jungle

My travel partner, Xavi, bought most of what he will need from Decathlon in Spain. I jokingly tell him he should have got a sponsorship from them since he’s like a walking Decathlon advert! Nevertheless, I’m sure there are other places you can get what you need from. I managed to gather my basic belongings for this travel in Ecuador itself, where I currently live.

To put the whole preparation description into a more practical format, here is my check list of things to take with me or prepare for the travel:
  1. Vaccines: check which vaccines you need for the areas you'll be visiting several weeks before leaving and make sure you take them in good time before starting your travel;
  2. Your passport (valid for more than the extent of your travel) – check about entry visas in the countries you will visit;
  3. Two credit cards and enough cash (hidden in different locations so as not to lose everything if you are ever robbed);
  4. A money belt to keep some of your cash hidden under your clothes;
  5. Basic medicines for any possible problems you may face along the way – cater for diarrhea, headaches, fever, bad stomachs (probiotics such as lactobacillus can be taken before leaving and during your travel to reduce stomach problems) and anything else you may suffer from on your travel. If travelling to a malaria-affected location such as the Amazon jungle, it would be wise to at least carry malaria prophylaxis. Consult with a doctor about actually taking them throughout your travel or not. I chose not to but I’ve been living in the Amazon for a while.
  6. Water purifying tablets may be very handy if you have no access to clean bottled water. Remember that dirty water is one of your most dangerous enemies. I cannot stress how much care you need to take with water in areas where water is contaminated by parasites or man-made pollution such as petrol (sadly, there are a number of leaks from petrol exploitation in the Amazon jungle – a topic I hope to cover in a further blog);
  7. Clothes: I packed enough underwear for a week (including some vests for the cold), three t-shirts, one casual shirt and one jumper. Also, a pair of jeans or comfortable trousers, a pair of tracksuit trousers, a pair of shorts and swimming trunks. A jacket is also a must for the cold season – this will be tied to my backpack when I’m not using it;
  8. Shoes: A good pair of trekking shoes / boots (waterproof and comfortable) which will be on my feet most of the time and a pair of sandals / flip-flops for the beach (seawater could destroy your good walking shoes);
  9. A hat that can protect your head and neck from the sun;
  10. Suncream;
  11. A large overall waterproof poncho to cover yourself in torrential rain;
  12. A small towel;
  13. Toiletries placed in a plastic bag, including a soap in a closed soap dish;
  14. A sleeping bag (since I'll be travelling through cold and hot weather, I got mine to keep me warm in coldish weather – but not extremely cold weather);
  15. A waterproof two-person tent made for cold and rough weather (which I expect to face in Patagonia);
  16. A mosquito net (preferably treated with permethrin);
  17. Mosquito repellent (both mild creams and deet spray) – you could also consume vitamin B pills as an added precaution;
  18. A hammock for the Amazon boat trips – which you can buy from the jungle towns themselves, and ropes with which to tie the hammock up on either side;
  19. A torch (preferably a head torch);
  20. A mobile phone (including the charger and a plug-adapter);
  21. A camera and accessories;
  22. A book or kindle and accessories;
  23. Cutlery, especially a knife (or a multipurpose knife) for eating in the rough – a tin-opener would help too. Some people who camp for a long time also take basic cooking apparatus;
  24. Garbage bags and a stack of other plastic bags;
  25. A good backpack that will not be overstuffed with my belongings (I would also suggest a good waterproof cover for the backpack)
  26. A small bag that will be used for day excursions.
Finally, remember to share your travel route with friends or family back home, in case anything happens to you. They deserve to know where you are and this could actually save your life (remember the misfortunate and careless protagonist of the movie 127 Hours…).

I think that’s it for the preparation… everything else I don’t have and may need, I’ll buy along the way. I hope this proves to be useful for travellers wondering what to take on an Amazon or a larger South American expedition. If you’re reading this blog with this aim in mind, best of luck and enjoy what will surely be an amazing adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment